Hello people of the internet! If you're reading this, you've luckily survived one the so called shittier years in history. Last year was a hot mess. There were too many celebrity deaths and somehow an angry orange man-child became president. I've decided to stop looking at the negative for a while. It's time to focus on some of my personal highlights of 2016 so I can share them with you!
- Last January I started a photo challenge. It's something I wanted to create since I started my blog. I can't even begin to explain how nervous I felt when it first went up. I tagged a ton of people (my favorite youtubers and such) hoping someone might do it. Somehow Meg Turney (Of SourceFed/RoosterTeeth) ended up doing my photo challenge in January and February. I remember waking up on January 2nd, 2016 and having 60+ new followers on Instagram. I immediately checked the hashtag. There were over 300 people joining my photo challenge in the first month because of her. The hashtag nearly hit 25,000 posts on Instagram alone in just one year. I really hope you all know how much I appreciate each one of your pictures.
- I went to my first ever drag show this year! During Cork Pride, Chi Chi DeVanye came over to do one show in Chambers. I'm pretty sure I lost my mind when the event was announced. Chi Chi was one of my favorite queens from season eight of Drag Race. I was rooting for her since episode one. Luckily, the meet & greet tickets didn't cost anything extra. It was just first come first serve. But, something weird happened that day. My friend Niamh and I decided to wait like 5 hours before the doors were opening. Which resulted in us being the only people there. I was messaging my friend while we were waiting and he told me he had gotten permission to interview Chi Chi for Irish Tv (which he worked for at the time). For whatever reason, the girl that was supposed to do the interviewing bailed and he asked me to do it! And that folks, is how I ended up interviewing Chi Chi (mother fucking) DeVanye! But, that's not what this paragraph is about! I was also surprised with a ticket to see Bob The Drag Queen & Laila McQueen a week later. It was pretty much a religious experience for me.
- As most of you know, I'm American. I moved here two weeks before I turned 14. So, I had a whole life over there. I also have a best friend over there. In January Jessica bought herself a plane ticket to visit me. By the time she came out here we hadn't seen each other in over 4 years. To top it all off, she came out just in time for my 22nd birthday. This was also the first time she properly got to hang out with my boyfriend. Having the two of them in the same place at the same time is something I will treasure for the rest of my life. We had so much fun. I still can't even believe she was here!
- This year was mine and Dan's sixth anniversary. Which sounds crazy when you think about the fact that I'm only 22. I'm so lucky to be able to spend my life with him. I couldn't end this post without mentioning this milestone either!
- Oh, and one last thing! I ate a lot of really good donuts! Like, a lot. Every time I went to Dublin I had to get at least one. And, now we have a new donut place in Cork and yeah.. 2016, the year of the donut!
I just want to say thank you to all of you who read my blog. I know last year was a bit all over the place when it came to posts. But, this year is going to have somewhat of a schedule and tons of great content. Also, thanks for just interacting with me on here or on any of my various forms of social media. I started this blog for myself but every single one of you makes it worth it.
What were your highlights of 2016?
Let me know in the comments below or on Twitter!
Connect with me